Friday, August 14, 2015

Lauren Listens - Contest and Audiobook Review of Hearts in Darkness by Laura Kaye

Hey Guys!!


I'm starting a new trend this week. It's called Lauren Listens. Here I'm going to be talking about my thoughts on a current audiobook I've been listening to this week. I'll be hosting little contests hopefully on each post so check the bottom to find out how to enter this week's CONTEST!

A lot of you guys are curious as to what I read and what I recommend, and since I send most of my days during the week driving, audiobooks are the way I'm getting my reading done.



Now the good news is that say you're not an audiophile like me, these books will all be available either in print or ebook so if something sounds good, don't let the audio aspect scare you off from trying a new author.

Let me preface this new series with my thoughts on audiobooks in general. I am not an auditory learner. I'm straight up visual. So how did I get into listening rather than reading when it comes to books? It was really by necessity more than anything. I travel upwards of 35 hours in the car every week and at night when I get home from lawyer, I'm looking for those few precious hours before bed to work on my novels. So I thought I'd give audiobooks a try.

I went in expecting to fall asleep, or get distracted by them, and not remember anything that happens. But it was just opposite!! Color me surprised when I realized that by learning to listen to audiobooks, I actually got much better at listening in general. This was great because as an attorney during the day, I have to argue in court and hearing and remembering what the judge and opposing counsel says is REALLY important. So diving in to the world of audiobooks was actually fantastic for both my jobs!

Another cool thing about audiobooks? In some ways you don't have to work as hard at reading. You know those nights when you're exhausted and you can't stare at a page? Well I figured out I could just put my cell phone with the Audible app playing by my pillow and just listen. Also, if you have chores or cleaning around the house like I do, it seems to make them go so much faster when you've got a good book on tap!

Now, on to my review of my first book in the Lauren Listens series.

Hearts in Darkness by Laura Kaye
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Length: Novella



First off, I love this cover!!! How stunning is that? Sexy, edgy, gritty. YUM! If you've never read a Laura Kaye book I REALLY recommend her stuff. What I like is that her books are off the charts sexy, but still feel really realistic and emotional too. That's the way I like romance. A book has to answer two questions: 1) Does it get me hot under the collar and 2) Do I feel like it seems like this could happen somewhere in the world? Now let me clarify, I don't mean when I'm reading a book that it has to be 100% possible. That's not what I mean. I'm not a reader who will criticize a writer and say "a nerd girl and a hot billionaire stranded on an island? Not possible- therefore bad book." That's not at all what I mean. What I'm saying is, if I read the book and the author does such a good job of developing the characters and the situation and the emotions and conflicts that it feels truly real to me? Then we have a jackpot.



So on to Hearts in Darkness...

Blurb:
Two strangers...
Makenna James thinks her day can't get any worse, until she finds herself stranded in a pitch-black elevator with a complete stranger. Distracted by a phone call, the pin-striped accountant catches only a glimpse of a dragon tattoo on his hand before the lights go out.
Four hours...
Caden Grayson is amused when a harried redhead dashes into his elevator fumbling her bags and cell phone. His amusement turns to panic when the power fails. Despite his piercings, tats, and vicious scar, he's terrified of the dark and confined spaces. Now, he's trapped in his own worst nightmare.

One pitch-black elevator...
To fight fear, they must reach out and open up. With no preconceived notions based on looks to hold them back, they discover just how much they have in common. In the warming darkness, attraction grows and sparks fly, but will they feel the same when the lights come back on?

My thoughts:
I really liked the narrator. Erin Jones did a fantastic job bringing both sides of the story, Caden and Makenna to life. :)
As for the story it self. It was superb! I loved the concept of the story, two strangers stuck on an elevator in the darkness? All the girl gets is a glimpse of a tattoo before the doors shut? Sexy, exciting, and a little scary! But the best part was when you start to listen, you don't get scared. The hero Caden is so likeable, yet he has that brooding, tragic back story without being cliché, that just melts your heart. I wanted to hug him and sleep with him. He was that good. And Makenna provides a great foil of a female character against Caden. She's just as strong but brings different emotional issues to the table. As they bonded in the elevator I found myself hoping they wouldn't have to get rescued...at least for a bit longer.

My conclusion: It was in turns sweet, sexy, seductive, exciting, and just a perfect way to get introduced into Laura Kaye's writing world. I'll be listening to more of hers for sure!

Want a copy of Laura Kaye's Hearts in Darkness audio? Here's the link to where you can get your own!

http://www.audible.com/pd/Romance/Hearts-in-Darkness-Audiobook/B00GSX69L2/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1439579376&sr=1-1#publisher-summary


**Contest** 1 Randomly selected commenter will win their choice of an audiobook from my current selection of available audiobooks. To enter, please answer below and be sure to leave your email so I can contact you if you win!! Winner will be announced next Friday publically on the next Lauren Listens post but will be contacted privately as well!

What do you think about Audiobooks? If you've never tried one, would you give it a shot? For those of you who are avid listeners what's your most recent book you've enjoyed listening to?

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I do like to listen to audio once in a while. Last one i listened to was one by Louis L'Amour.

      Delete
    2. Ooh which Louis L'Amour Melba? I've been wanting to try one of his books for ages, and would love to know if you recommend a particular one!

      Delete
  2. Love Laura's Ink Series! I've never read this one in particular but it's on my TBR. I've only ever listened audio books by Katie Reus and they were fabulous! I want to listen to others but I haven't had the chance get them. Thanks for the chance ;)

    Joanna M
    annaoj (dot) mortes (AT) Gmail (dot ) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited to dive into her Ink series. It looks really good!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE audiobooks and listen all the time. I usually have both an audiobook and a paper book going at the same time. I listen to the audiobook when I'm cleaning house, walking on the treadmill, etc. When I have quiet time to sit and read, I have the paper book. You said to leave my e-mail address -- how is that done privately without putting in the comments???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pompie! I'll just reply back here on this thread if you win and give you my email so you can contact me. How's that sound? :) You sound like me, I listen pretty much all the time when I'm on the move!!

      Delete
    2. Pompie1999 You are my winner this week!! Please email me at ldsmith1818@gmail.com and we'll talk about your prize of one of my audiobooks. :)

      Delete
  4. Ohhh it's great Lauren. Do you have a favourite Gere .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Demetra! I love listening to romance audiobooks but I also love to listen to the Great Lecture series where professors talk about history. :)

      Delete
  5. I will need to get one of yours love my audio

    ReplyDelete